“Prefab-ing” Enemy Assets in My Video Game

For a long time now, I haven’t been using prefabs for my enemies or enemy assets.  Through the process of learning Unity, I’ve had to be continually making changes to each enemy individually.  There were certainly common traits between them, but their differences made it difficult to work with prefabs.  Now that I’ve built out a more complete “framework” for enemies, what they can do, and what evens occur and when, I’ve taken the time to start converting them.

This couldn’t come soon enough.  This past week I’ve been making a lot of changes to sound effects, enemy weapons, and explosions, and streamlining code with the help of Unity’s Profiler tool.  Making the same changes to dozens of enemies was becoming tedious.  It was time to start moving them into prefabs.

So far, I’ve managed to get environmental props and enemies for two levels converted over to prefabs.  Though it took me the better part of a day to do, in just one day since it has probably already saved me about two hours menial work.  Not bad!  I’m sure it’ll save me roughly 10-15 hours of work every month.

Posted in Super Space Trooper, Unity 3D, Video Game Development

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>